The HighTide Writers Group is a 12 month long programme to support 6 East of England playwrights, at any point of their career, aspiring or established, to develop their craft and draft a new play. The group is run by HighTide with leading playwrights and facilitators Juliet Gilkes Romero (The Whip, RSC) and Tim Price (Nye, National Theatre).
Submission Window Closed
The script submission window for this group has now closed and the successful playwright’s will be announced in January 2024.
What is the HighTide Writers Group?
- The group meets once a month.
- These gatherings are facilitated by Tim & Juliet and specifically tailored towards the group’s needs and interests.
- Through supportive group discussion, sharing and feedback, the group develops your knowledge and understanding of playwriting, as well as your own unique voice.
- Over the course of 12 months you’re be supported to write a draft of a new play.
- In addition, each selected playwright:
- receives £750 as a bursary to support your time during the 12-month group. (We also pay for any travel expenses you might incur for in-person classes and events).
- is linked up with a professional playwright mentor (selected by you and HighTide Artistic Director, Clare Slater) for a couple of focussed conversations about your writing and your career (previous mentors have included Mike Bartlett, Nina Raine, Hannah Khalil, Sabrina Mahfouz and Lucy Kirkwood).
- is introduced to other producing theatres in the East of England
- receives research and development time, with actors and a director, of your new script
- benefits from a script-in-hand, professional presentation of an extract of your new piece, at HighTide Rising, our festival of new plays.
Consideration for this group is via a script submission process. Submissions for this group have now closed.
Successful applicants will be notified in December 2023. Regardless of outcome every applicant will, if requested, receive short feedback on their script sample.
HighTide’s Writer Development work is generously supported by The Foyle Foundation.
HighTide Writers Group is supported by The Noel Coward Foundation